Exercise: Jim & Andy
Watch Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond.
Then listen to The Art of Charm, episode 675: Rotten Psychology.
Controlling for bias on both sides, write a stream of consciousness on your reaction to both. At least 500 words, but no upper limit.
You can use the following questions to help inspire your thoughts:
- What was Jim Carrey’s objective in playing the role of Andy Kaufman?
- Who is the audience?
- What differences are there, if any, between Andy Kaufman’s objectives and those of Jim Carrey as Andy?
- How does The Art of Charm’s point about ensemble versus solo practitioners apply, if at all, to acting and this film in particular?
- What shared vocabulary exists between the two source materials?
- Are the philosophies of Jim Carrey and Justin Ramsdell incompatible? If so, how could they be made to be compatible? Is there a happy medium?
If you’re comfortable sharing your work, please post it here or send it to me directly.